Laguna Beach Police Department

Laguna Beach Crime Rate Decreases 2nd Year in a Row

Laguna Beach Crime Rate Decreases 2nd Year in a Row

Laguna Beach Continues Extremely Low Crime Rate Overall Crime Decreases for Second Year in a Row

Laguna Beach, CA – For the second year in a row, the Laguna Beach Police Department is again pleased to announce that overall crime has decreased in 2019.

Crime statistics comparing 2018 to 2019 show a 4% overall reduction in crime, which is difficult to achieve after enjoying a 14% crime reduction in 2018. Property crime, specifically larceny, decreased 18% from 316 reported incidents in 2018, to 257 reported in 2019. This reduction is the direct result of fewer beach thefts due to intensified foot patrols directly on the sand and in the parks adjacent to the beach.

In 2019, there was an increase in simple assaults, which was mostly attributed to domestic violence incidents. There was also a slight increase in reported sexual assaults. These incidents are from known assailants.

The Police Department uses a data-driven approach to track crime on a monthly and yearly basis, effectively identifying and targeting specific crimes and problem areas through creative strategies, enforcement and community engagement and education. This on-going and active evaluation of how to positively impact an issue is directly related to our success. Having officers assigned to address our community’s specific needs has proven successful. These assignments include, Community Outreach Officers, Business Liaison Unit, School Resource Officers, and Traffic Officers to mention a few.

“The overall decrease in crime is attributed to having the highest staffing levels, a data driven approach to impact repeat call locations, and the support from the community and City Council on initiatives such as the Main Beach and Heisler Park engagement booths,” said Laguna Beach Police Chief Laura Farinella. “The men and women of the Laguna Beach Police Department are to be commended for their diligent efforts in identifying crime and nuisance issues and working with the community to find innovative strategies to impact these challenges.”

Below are the 2019 Laguna Beach statistics for Property Crimes, as compared to previous years.

PROPERTY CRIMES 2016 2017 2018 Below are the 2019 Laguna Beach statistics for Violent Crimes, as compared to previous years.

Total Crimes 2018 = 576 Total Crimes 2019 = 556 Crime Reduction = 4%

For further information, please contact Jason Kravetz at (949) 497-0307 or

Laguna Beach Police Department, February 20, 2020, Media Release

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *